Monday, July 12, 2010

Black Men and Public Space by Brent Staples

In “Black Men and Public Space”, Brent Staples describes the ways in which being a young, tall, black man has given him the “ability to alter public space in ugly ways” (p. 40). I found Staples’ first sentence to be interesting: “My first victim was a woman…” The reader’s first impression of the author mirrors that of people within his presence. As we continue reading, we realize the first sentence contrasts greatly with the rest of the story—this man’s not to be feared at all. Just as the author redeems himself to the readers, he feels obliged to redeem himself to those around him in public places, to put them at ease, such as by whistling Beethoven or Vivaldi. It’s sad that Staples feels that he owes something to those around him, simply because of his presence as a black man, yet it’s very telling of today’s race relations.
As a young girl, sometimes I feel the opposite of Staples: simply ignored. I used to be bothered by this, feeling as if it was my duty to prove to others my abilities and making sure people were aware of my presence. I’d let people look at my test grades to prove to them I was good at math, or I’d swear like a sailor just to not be seen as dainty. Eventually I realized that being underestimated and ignored can be freeing, as no one holds expectations of you and your abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment